Not In Removal Proceedings
Step 1: File an Application
- You must be present in the US or port of entry
- The application must be filed within a year of entry (*exceptions apply).
- You must have credible fear of future persecution or experienced persecution in the past.
Step 2: Interview
- Passed Congratulations
Referral to the court:
- Master Hearing (might be several)
- Individual Hearing
- Granted Congratulations
First Time in Removal:
- File Asylum as a defense from removal
- Individual hearing
- Arriving Alien and Visa Waiver Overstay: credible fear determination first
In Removal Proceedings
Step 1: *Reinstatement of prior removals:
- Must state that you have a fear of returning to your country.
Step 2: Credible Fear Interview
- Asylee must prove reasonable fear of persecution or torture.
- Passed May apply for withholding (maybe asylum)
- Failed Be Removed or Request review by the judge
Asylum: Lawyer's Publications
US immigrationlawyer: Author: New York Immigration Attorney Alena Shautsova TPS stands for temporary protected status. It was created by the in the Immigration Act of 1990. It is provided to nationals of specifically designated countries that are confrontin...
US immigrationlawyer: Author: New York Immigration Lawyer Alena Shautsova Imagine, in 2017, Martha had to flee El Salvador with her older son when gangs decided to recruit him, and when he refused, threatened to kill the entire family. Martha took her 13 years ...
US immigrationlawyer: Author: New York Immigration Lawyer Alena Shautsova Just recently, the topic of immigration was at the forefront of discussions during the North American Leaders' Summit, where President Biden, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada, and ...
US immigrationlawyer: Author: US Immigration lawyer Alena Shautsova US Immigration lawyer Alena Shautsova helps clients to find solutions for their US Immigration challenges. A humanitarian parole can be used to bring the US an individual who otherwise does ...