Not In Removal Proceedings
Step 1: File an Application
- You must be present in the US or port of entry
- The application must be filed within a year of entry (*exceptions apply).
- You must have credible fear of future persecution or experienced persecution in the past.
Step 2: Interview
- Passed Congratulations
Referral to the court:
- Master Hearing (might be several)
- Individual Hearing
- Granted Congratulations
First Time in Removal:
- File Asylum as a defense from removal
- Individual hearing
- Arriving Alien and Visa Waiver Overstay: credible fear determination first
In Removal Proceedings
Step 1: *Reinstatement of prior removals:
- Must state that you have a fear of returning to your country.
Step 2: Credible Fear Interview
- Asylee must prove reasonable fear of persecution or torture.
- Passed May apply for withholding (maybe asylum)
- Failed Be Removed or Request review by the judge
Asylum: Lawyer's Publications
US immigrationlawyer: Author: New York Immigration Attorney Alena Shautsova You had your conviction vacated, and now you believe you have a “clean record.” It is time for your Immigration application, and you are wondering if you even need to mention that you w...Full immigration article »
US immigrationlawyer: Author: New York Immigration Lawyer Alena Shautsova U.S. military provides much more immigration benefits to its members and their families than the public is generally discussing. For example, many know that U.S. military provides an ...Full immigration article »
US immigrationlawyer: Author: New York Immigration lawyer Alena Shautsova A permanent bar is a scary thing for any immigrant: a permanent bar means that a person is disqualified from any relief in the US until he/she serves 10 years outside of the United States...Full immigration article »
US immigrationlawyer: Author: New York Immigration Lawyer Alena Shautsova On February 27, 2018, US Supreme Court in the case of Jennings v. Rodriguez stated that the lower Federal Court (the Ninth Circuit court) was wrong when held that detained immigrants ha...Full immigration article »