New York Lawyer's Legal Updates

Work Authorization And Social Security Number Will Be Issued Together

Author: Green Card lawyer Alena Shautsova

USCIS has recently changed its I 765 work authorization application. Now, certain applicants who have never had a social security number in the US, will be able to obtain it simultaneously with the work authorization.

An EAD or employment authorization card allows certain applicants to start legally working in the US prior to them becoming lawful permanent residents. To accomplish this, a person used to have first to obtain an EAD and then go to the local Social Security administration office and apply and receive a social security number. An SSN number is used to report wages to the government.

Now, a person by filing the same, one application will be able to get an EAD and SSN, without the need to go to the Social Security administration.

An application for an SSN card or a replacement card is optional on form I 765, and a person is not required to apply for it together with the EAD.

If your employer uses E-Verify to confirm new employees’ eligibility to legally work in the United States, the information one provides on Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, will be compared to data in SSA and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) databases. Employees must have an SSN in order for E-Verify to confirm their eligibility to legally work in the United States.

05 October 2017
Watch Our YouTube Channel Free Legal Videos

We use cookies to deliver our online services. Details of the cookies and other tracking technologies we use and instructions on how to disable them are set out in our Cookies Policy. By using this website you consent to our use of cookies.