Not In Removal Proceedings
Step 1: File an Application
- You must be present in the US or port of entry
- The application must be filed within a year of entry (*exceptions apply).
- You must have credible fear of future persecution or experienced persecution in the past.
Step 2: Interview
- Passed Congratulations
Referral to the court:
- Master Hearing (might be several)
- Individual Hearing
- Granted Congratulations
First Time in Removal:
- File Asylum as a defense from removal
- Individual hearing
- Arriving Alien and Visa Waiver Overstay: credible fear determination first
In Removal Proceedings
Step 1: *Reinstatement of prior removals:
- Must state that you have a fear of returning to your country.
Step 2: Credible Fear Interview
- Asylee must prove reasonable fear of persecution or torture.
- Passed May apply for withholding (maybe asylum)
- Failed Be Removed or Request review by the judge
Asylum: Lawyer's Publications
US immigrationlawyer: Author: Immigration Attorney Alena Shautsova Have you tried filling out immigration forms by yourself? Have you ever wondered if some of the questions you saw on those forms were prepared by LSAT or GRE examiners? Sometimes, you read a que...Full immigration article »
US immigrationlawyer: Author: New York Immigration lawyer Alena Shautsova An Immigration waiver is a “pardon” for a specific immigration violation. For example, when a person is applying for a US visa or a green card, an Immigration (or consular) officer has to...Full immigration article »
US immigrationlawyer: Author: Immigration Lawyer Alena Shautsova On July 22, 2017 TPS for Haiti nationals is set to expire. It means that those who are holding TPS status will be deprived of its benefits and will face immigration challenges as if they were “und...Full immigration article »
US immigrationlawyer: Author: New York Immigration lawyer Alena Shautsova The Trump administration said on March 27, 2017 it would withhold federal criminal-justice grants from cities, counties and states that don’t fully cooperate with federal immigration aut...Full immigration article »